We’re Hiring an Interim Director of Religious Education
Peoples Church is hiring an interim Director of Religious Education with an expected start date in August 2017. This half-time position is located in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Read the job description below or download a PDF. To apply to the position, email your resume and cover letter to the Rev. Rebecca Hinds at email@example.com.
Description for Interim Director of Religious Education
The Interim Director of Religious Education (DRE) will provide professional religious education leadership; evaluate, support and innovate an exceptional religious education program for children and youth (from birth through high school); and prepare the congregation for a permanent DRE.
- The Interim DRE will be a part of a shared ministry team and will report to and be supervised by the Developmental Minister
- 1-year interim beginning August 2017 (Possible second year with a one-year contractual period)
- ½ time (approx. 20 hours/week)
- Nonstandard schedule including Sunday Mornings and some evenings
- Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience
- Membership in Peoples Church is not permitted
- Uphold the values, vision, and mission of Peoples Church
- Provide religious leadership, spiritual guidance, and a clear vision for the Religious Education Program
- Develop, manage and supervise Sunday morning religious education classes and activities
- Coordinate the selection/development of curricula and programming for children’s and youth Religious Education, including Our Whole Lives and Coming of Age
Recruit, train, and support Religious Education volunteers
Recruit, train, and support Childcare Staff
- Create and lead children’s and multigenerational worship in collaboration with the minister and others, including weekly Time for All Ages and monthly multigenerational worship service
- In collaboration with the Religious Education Council, review, update, and further develop a religious education three-year plan
- Manage and monitor the Religious Education budget with supporting records
- Maintain education resources, classrooms, supplies, and equipment
- Knowledge of and experience in Unitarian Universalist interim religious education
- Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) Religious Education Credential, or working toward Credentialed level or higher is highly desirable
- Experience developing and supporting educational programs for young people
- Demonstrated ability to nurture spiritual development and growth in young people
- Knowledge of educational methods, different learning styles, age-appropriate content, and child social, emotional, and cognitive development
- Demonstrated ability to lead and engage multigenerational groups in worship and shared activities
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and efficiently and coordinate programming with many individuals and groups within the congregation.
- The DRE agrees to abide by the Code of Professional Practices set forth by the Liberal Religious Educators Association
- The DRE and the Congregation agree to abide by the Guidelines for Professional Religious Educators set forth by the Liberal Religious Educators Association
About Peoples Church:
Peoples Church Unitarian Universalist was founded in 1869 in Cedar Rapids, IA. Approximately 7 years ago, the congregation sold its original historic church in downtown Cedar Rapids and purchased a vacant church building in a west side neighborhood. This big change liberated the congregation financially and called them into a period of innovation and renewal. With a spirit of enthusiasm and exploration, the congregation voted unanimously in 2015 to enter Developmental Ministry.
The congregation has just finished the first year of this exciting 5-7 year process with their Developmental Minister. Members are dedicated, forward thinking and passionate about Developmental Ministry and the future of Unitarian Universalism and Peoples Church. We are looking for an Interim Director of Religious Education (DRE) to join the ministry team and complement this process of development and growth.
To apply to the position, email your resume and cover letter to the Rev. Rebecca Hinds at firstname.lastname@example.org.