Minister’s Moment, May 2019
Spring is here and I could not be more delighted! The yellow and red tulips opening in my garden are a warm, welcome sight.
Last fall, when I planted the tulip bulbs, I was thinking to myself: By the time these tulips bloom it will be just about the time for Casey and me to welcome our new baby.
Casey is due May 19th and we could not be more excited to welcome our daughter to the world. We feel ready, but I know we are in for some surprises and have a lot to learn. I am endlessly curious about what the whole experience will be like.
And I know you have questions too! Are you curious about how my life transition will impact the church? Well, here is everything I know so far:
- When the baby is born, I will be taking 6 weeks of parental leave. I will not be checking email or voice mail during this time as I take care of my family and new baby.
- David Wise has graciously agreed to be on call for pastoral care emergencies while I am gone. You can contact him at the church (319-362-9827 or email@example.com)
- In addition, our Paraministers will be on call as usual. Please check their schedule here in the Voice and in the eWeekly and call them as needed.
Sunday morning worship services are covered for the duration of my leave time, and boy are you in for a treat! We have some fabulous preachers lined up! Here is the schedule:
- May 19: David Wise
- May 26: Kathleen Mavity
- June 2: Rev. Diane Dowgiert (minister of the UU Society of Iowa City)
- June 9: Emma Peterson (minister of Cedar Valley UUs in Cedar Falls)
- June 16: Charles Crawley (president of the Inter Religious Council of Linn County)
- June 23: Rev. Jay Wolin (minister of the UU Congregation of the Quad Cities)
- June 30: Andrea Hawkins-Kamper (ministerial intern at the UU Congregation of the Quad Cities)
When my six weeks of parental leave is up, it will be right around the beginning of July and the start of my annual 4 weeks of Study Leave. During the month of July, I will be working from home, reading, studying, and preparing for the 2019-2020 church year. Our talented Worship Associate Team will be hosting worship services in July. They have some wonderful, wild ideas that you will be sure to enjoy!
With a grateful heart, I look forward to seeing you over the next few weeks and then again in August.